Sunday, 7 August 2016

We're Back!!!

So that's it !
We are now in Ramsgate and I write this whilst Martha and I wait for a lift home
The sail back was exciting to say the least. Strong South Westerly winds with waves breaking over the cockpit added to the enjoyment
I was delighted that Martha managed to read most of her book and catch up on some well deserved sleep during the trip
We have come to Ramsgate to wait for the next Spring tides so that Calismarde can be lifted out of the water and the leak properly sorted back in Faversham
Bonita has continued back to the Swale and we all said our farewells off the North Foreland after a brilliant adventure to the Baltic

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Saturday, 6 August 2016

Down but not defeated in Dunkerque

We headed up the coast this morning to Dunkerque and arrived at lunchtime with a plan to have a rest then attempt to cross the channel tonight
Unfortunately the weather dampened our plans once again when we saw that fog was forecast for the Channel tonight
It is beautifully clear in Dunkerque but I hope in a perverse way that it is like pea soup in the Dover Straits!
Tomorrow we will try again......,

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Friday, 5 August 2016

Nip to Oostend

After a night spent listening to the wind howling in the rigging we were pleased to find that things had settled a bit by the time we left Vlissingen early yesterday morning
After a lively and quick sail we arrived at Oostend by lunchtime so that Will and Lucy could catch a ferry home from there

Unfortunately ferries to Dover no longer run from Oostend!!!
Thankfully they were able to catch a train to Calais
We spent the afternoon seeing the sights of Oostend and soaking up the seaside atmosphere

Today Martha and I hope to make it further down the coast in company with Bonita

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Thursday, 4 August 2016

Storm bound in Flushing

Today we have mostly been storm bound in Vlissingan which is also known as Flushing
After a gentle trip down the canal we tied up mid morning then went for a walk around the town and visited the fascinating local pram museum !!!

in addition to the Zeeland Museum.... The crew are experts on Dutch history now

They build huge super yachts here and more importantly the town was the scene of an important strategic battle in 1944 focuses around this windmill

We hope that the weather will be kinder tomorrow

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Mooring mayhem in Middleberg

No rain today but plenty of wind, so we are grateful for being on the inland waterways which are a lovely place to sail

We didn't leave early for a change and despite that arrived in Middleberg by mid afternoon.
This is a beautiful 16th century town built around a series of canals
The harbour was packed with anxious sailors when we arrived and Bonita and Calismarde's entry did nothing to lessen the tension , particularly as both boats are difficult to manoeuvre. Indeed one German man was so stressedthat he accused William of being solely responsible for Brexit!!

We spent a lovely evening in the shadow of the town hall and will probably stay here tomorrow in light of the gale warnings

As I write this the wind is howling in the rigging
This shop in Middleberg specialises in supplying mycota powder so I can bring some home if needed....just let me know

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Tuesday, 2 August 2016

Wet, windy but not wanting in Wemeldinge

So much for getting to Vlissingan today.....

The weather has been diabolical
It has rained all day and been blowing hard from the wrong direction

Despite this the crew have remained up beat and cheerful and this mood was improved further after a good meal in the Marina restaurant
Tomorrow we will try again to get near to Vlissingan..........

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Frustration leads to satisfaction

We all awoke with a sense of frustration this morning with the thoughts of being stuck in Scheveningen

It is a very pleasant place but the forecast for the next few days is not favourable and we can't get into the inland waterways from there
However!!! At lunchtime the wind shifted so we hurriedly left, sailed past Rotterdam without hitting a container ship and are now in Stellendam.
This now gives us the opportunity to get further south despite the weather, so we hope to be in Vlissingen by tomorrow evening

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone